Slashdot Asks: Do You Label Your Tech Gear, and If So, How?

timothy posted about 9 months ago | from the hot-iron-keeps-melting-the-motherboard dept.

Crime 250

At last month's CES, I mislaid a microphone that I'd just bought: too many items in little black pouches, and that one disappeared on a patch of dark carpet when I got something else out of my bag. A few minutes later, when I realized this, I walked back to find (no shocker) that it had walked away, and the lost mic somehow never made it to the Lost & Found office. Dumb as I felt for having let it get away, the real sting is knowing that I didn't so much as have my name on it, which I like to think might have nudged a morally ambivalent finder into returning it. My question is this: How do you personalize, label, or mark your expensive tech goodies, so it's harder for them to be innocently or less-innocently taken away? Even at a LAN party, it's easy for items to get swapped around and confused. I've sometimes put my name or initials (in permanent ink) on any flat surface I can find that will fit it, but even the "permanent" ink of Sharpies seems to fade on many surfaces. Stickers degrade with heat, time, and bag jostling, but they certainly help. Is engraving the best permanent option? Have you used one of the physical tag services, like Boomerang, and has that ever actually come in handy for you? There's theft-deterrent (or at least post-theft tracking) software, as we've mentioned a few times on Slashdot, but many things aren't suited to it, like my lost mic. What do you do to keep your stuff yours?

Easy (-1, Troll)

Be more careful and don't lose your shit. If I found something, even with a name on it, I'd keep it. Finders keepers and all that.

Re:Easy (3, Insightful)

Then you're a fucking thief. It's not yours. Either fuck off or get it to a Lost&Found.

Re:Easy (-1)

Nope. If you lost it, then it is fair game for anyone to take it. Keeping it was YOUR fucking responsibility, you stupid fuck.

You come at me like that in person and I'll break you in half, wimpy little nerd.

Re:Easy (0, Flamebait)

Careful, some of us nerds can deadlift three times your weight. Bring it on asshole. You are a thief, period, and should be treated as such.

Re:Easy (-1)

I could beat the shit out of anyone here, so shut your fucking mouth little boy. I'd easily break you like a twig, faggot. If you want to test it, you pick a place and meet me there. I will be more than happy to rip your limbs off and shove them up your faggot ass.

Re: Easy (0)

Hint: Grown ups don't write like that. Stay in school, kid.

Re: Easy (-1)

Hint: Uncultivated, inexperienced little shits who have lived in the same bumfuck town in Nowhere,USA for their entire life make stupid statements like you did.

You know why I can break you easily? Because I am a man while you are little fucking bitch.

Re: Easy (0)

Clearly a child there. Doesn't realize assault caries a prison term. Adults with that attitude end up spending quality time in our penal system.

Re: Easy (-1)

Nope, I would just say that the person attacked me first and I beat the shit out of them in self defense.

Also, laws aren't global, you uneducated, inexperienced, uncultivated sack of shit. Assault doesn't carry a prison term on MANY places. You'd know that if you had ever left your little redneck hick town.

Re:Easy (0)

Massive douchebag. I often wonder to myself how people like you actually exist in life. Where do people like you come from? How were you formed into the piece of shit that you've become in life?

Re:Easy (0)

Shut the fuck up, little dweeb. People like you live because people like me ALLOW you to live.

Re:Easy (0)

This is some fine comedy right here. I wish you the best of luck in your future career as a bouncer or a prisoner. Do try to finish junior high school first.

Re:Easy (1)

That's unethical and you contribute to making the world a worse place by doing that.

Re:Easy (0)

That's unethical

Thanks for your personal opinion.

You lose your shit and I find it, it becomes my shit.

Re: Easy (0)

You're either very young, in which case hopefully you'll grow out of this selfish attitude and develop respect for other people, or you're an adult, in which case you're probably going to have a lonely dissatisfied life. Peace out, motherfucker.

Re: Easy (0)

Shut the fuck up and go back to bed, junior.

Re:Easy (0)

I'm glad you have such a simple outlook. Then you'll understand when I say, if I find you with my shit, and you don't hand it back over, you're going to wake up, broken, in a hospital.

Re:Easy (0)

HAHAHAHAHA! That's some hilarious shit right there.

Yeah, come waste me little dork. I could end your life with a single punch.

Re:Easy (0)

you're funny. and sad. and clearly barely into your teens.

Reward if Found (2, Insightful)

Mister Transistor (259842) | about 9 months ago | (#46316851)

Engraving is the only (mostly) unremovable way to mark things, and I have found in the past that the simple phrase "Reward If Found" and a phone number have gotten me and several friends some of their items back. Either that, or "Stolen From (insert Name)". That way, even if the thief doesn't think better of his acquisition, he'll at least be reminded he's a morally corrupt shitbag every time he picks it up.

Re:Reward if Found (-1)

It's easy enough to engrave over that shit. I once found a watch that had a name engraved on the back. I busted out my engraver and scribbled that shit out. The watch became mine because the original owner tacitly gave it to me by being such a fucking idiot and losing it in the first place.

If you lose your shit, it is not the world's responsibility to take care of it for you, you lazy, childish, irresponsible, entitled sack of shit.

Re:Reward if Found (0)

Where I live, you are required by law to declare any finding with the police (or city officials, or return it directly). If you lost something, you are also required to pay a reasonable fee to the finder, on top of any expenses incurred.

Re:Reward if Found (-1)

It figures it would be a communist place like the netherlands to pass a law like that. You people are so backwards. It's no wonder you guys haven't done shit for the world.

Re:Reward if Found (0)

If someone lost something, you should return it. POTUS Obama said, If you like your "stuff", you can keep your "stuff".
To sell yourself for "stuff"--owned, lost or found--is just a stupid transaction. What you lose is much greater than what you stole.

Re: Easy (0)

Thieving twat

Re: Easy (-1)

Keeping a lost item isn't theft, you stupid little shit. If you don't want someone else to end up with your shit, then don't lose it, fucking moron.

Re: Easy (1)

Holi (250190) | about 9 months ago | (#46317081)

Actually it is. According to the law you have a responsibility to attempt to return found items and money to the original owner and failing that to turn it in to the authorities.

But obviously you don't care because your an AC troll just trying to swear a lot because you think it makes you sound more like an adult (hint: it doesn't).

Re: Easy (0)

You're so fucking wrong. Possession is 9/10ths of the law, stupid faggot. I find it, I keep it because the loser gave it to me tacitly. Don't want that to happen? Then don't be a careless moron, losing your shit and then whining and crying like a little bitch because the world isn't fair and you're an entitled little shit.

Now get the fuck out, n00b.

Re: Easy (1, Funny)

Actually all of the above posts were all by me (AC) I was just having an internal debate about what to do with this crappy microphone I found and didn't realize I was typing out loud.

Re:Easy (0)

If I find your car, even though it has a license plate on it, can I keep it?

Re:Easy (0)

Sure, if I were so stupid to lose my car then that would be fair game. Too bad for you, I'm not a fucking idiot and I don't lose stuff.

Fuck, what are you Slashdot losers? A bunch of fucking retards perpetually losing your shit?

Re:Easy (0)

Then you're a thief, and a twat.

Re:Easy (-1)

Cry moar.

making history, cannot feel a thing (-1)

history repeat http://keelingcurve.ucsd.edu/

Today, in /.'s Fake User Question (3, Insightful)

Really, guys...

Re:Today, in /.'s Fake User Question (1)

ColdWetDog (752185) | about 9 months ago | (#46316765)

Really, guys...

An even scarier thought. It's NOT a fake question.

Re:Today, in /.'s Fake User Question (-1)

It's a question from Timothy. It is real because he is really that dumb.

Re:Today, in /.'s Fake User Question (0)

Then he is brave for asking a dumb question.

Re:Today, in /.'s Fake User Question (1)

OzPeter (195038) | about 9 months ago | (#46317109)

Then he is brave for asking a dumb question.

No .. not brave as that is what he is paid to do. Its the slashdot version of the shock jock.

non-issue (5, Insightful)

rubycodez (864176) | about 9 months ago | (#46316757)

some of us have grown up, and longer go to either trade shows or LAN parties 8D

on a more serious note, get an engraver

Re:non-issue (1)

P1 (94525) | about 9 months ago | (#46317055)

Engraver is the answer!

Re:non-issue (2)

Technician (215283) | about 9 months ago | (#46317099)

A laser printer does a much nicer job. Look for Laser Engraving services in your area.

Google link to some very nice jobs on laptops https://www.google.com/search?... [google.com]

Re:non-issue (-1)

Notice those are mostly Apple products being engraved. People with too much money buying stuff that is cool because it is expensive, paying more money for ostentatious bullshit so they flash their perceived bling. Look at me, I have so much money I can waste it on overpriced shit. The items that aren't Apple are obviously those who buy into the bullshit and are trying to keep up to something that people shouldn't care about to begin with. If you are going to overspend money on shit that isn't needed, try buying stuff that will do the job at a lower price and spend the difference on stuff that is actually build in America, instead of buying crap that Apple pays non-Americans to build.

Re:non-issue (0)

rubycodez (864176) | about 9 months ago | (#46317389)

that's just an opinion.

the value in Apple products is in having a integrated system designed from hardware to drivers to OS to software products to work. The alternatives (windows, linux and BSD) sometimes have issues in that area on desktop side, just too many possible devices and interactions among them to guarentee support or robust function. that's one of the reasons that server side is better for Linux or BSD, smaller set of devices to focus.

In the corporate world, where Windows office software is mandated, OSX is way to run that stuff under a full OS without Microsoft crippled semi-OS

Also, as geek have to point out MacOSX being BSD makes for a kick-ass command line environment on laptop and desktop; Windows is just a mess with needlessly complex powershell and/or DOS command line.

Use a strap (0)

Wrist straps work well since they keep the object(s) connected to you.

Re:Use a strap (1)

davester666 (731373) | about 9 months ago | (#46317411)

But it makes for an awkward situation, with you standing on stage next to the podium, wrist strap connected to the microphone, while the speaker delivers their speech.

Do what they do at factories (1)

Factories don't consider "permanent" marker permanent. It comes off too easy. They use paint markers instead. Available at all better hardware stores.

Permnent Markers (5, Interesting)

Immerman (2627577) | about 9 months ago | (#46316789)

Stickers can easily peel off. Engraving is easy to overlook unless the lighting is right. High-contrast "permanent" ink sticks around. Yes it fades over time, but it only takes a few seconds per year to freshen it up.

For electronics I also try to put contact info somewhere obvious - My flash drives all have "IF YOU FIND THIS.txt" as one of the few files in the root folder, and my phones all have _Me as the very first entry on the contact list.

Re:Permnent Markers (1)

Immerman (2627577) | about 9 months ago | (#46316821)

Also, write your phone number on the gadget, not just your name. Names are fine when you lose something at school or a friends house, but they don't allow a helpful stranger to tell you than found your stuff.

Re:Permnent Markers (2)

Immerman (2627577) | about 9 months ago | (#46316877)

And, finally, especially on stuff you *really* don't want to lose, consider offering a reward for their return. That 16GB flash drive was only worth $10 new, a $20 reward offer that catches the eye of a "finders keepers" inclined individual before they reformat it may well get your data back to you safe and sound.

Don't you hate when you keep thinking of another important point just as you hit the submit button?

Photo-label (1)

Immerman (2627577) | about 9 months ago | (#46317093)

And of course one more springs to mind. A self-portrait displayed prominently when someone first opens your gadget - be that as your account image on your laptop or the lock-screen background on your smartphone. Give a stranger in the crowd a chance to spot the person they should hand it back to.

Use a dremel tool ... (1)

golodh (893453) | about 9 months ago | (#46316903)

The one or two things I really want labelled in a way that won't come off, I engraved my name on using a Dremel tool.

There's an added benefit of making the thing you label less attractive to others (depending on where you put the engraving).

Re:Use a dremel tool ... (1)

Immerman (2627577) | about 9 months ago | (#46316977)

That would be a lot more visible than normal engraving, especially if you also traced the grooves with contrasting permanent ink - which could also make the grooves more attractive while simultaneously protecting the ink from wear.

-- This idea has been approved by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Re:Permnent Markers (0)

Off-topic, but for your phone, do you have an I.C.E. entry? You know, In Case of Emergency, where if you're in an accident, they can call that number for you if they check your phone. See: http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/icephone.asp (Hope that's not a bad example.)

Re:Permnent Markers (1)

Immerman (2627577) | about 9 months ago | (#46317023)

No I don't, and it does seem like a good idea if it's something paramedics actually think to look for.

I think I'll change my first two contacts to _If Found and _In Emergency to make absolutely sure the intent is obvious to any well-intentioned finder.

Re:Permnent Markers (0)

Or putting: I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency)

For the lost then found thing, a phone number or e-mail, but never a physical address for obvious reasons.

Re:Permnent Markers (1)

angel'o'sphere (80593) | about 9 months ago | (#46317173)

I would never stick a found flash drive into my computer :)
Ah well, perhaps on a linux box where I was certain it does not accept keyboard input from THAT port.

Lab Markers (5, Interesting)

Sharpies are disallowed at my lab because the writing is so easily removed. They're expensive, but writing with a VWR lab marker [vwr.com] doesn't come off even when treated with most solvents.

Re:Lab Markers (1)

Immerman (2627577) | about 9 months ago | (#46316949)

That seems rather excessive unless you have a chronic problem. The primary purpose of a label in most situations is to give a helpful person the ability to return your stuff, a thief just won't show anyone the label (What, you don't make decorative drawings on your stuff?). Unless the thing in question has little use outside your lab that's pretty easy to do.

Thanks for the link though, how does the ink compare to Sharpies when it comes to normal wear and fading?

Re:Lab Markers (0)

The lab markers don't fade nearly as fast as a sharpie.

Re:Lab Markers (1)

spasm (79260) | about 9 months ago | (#46316997)

Good idea, but the product page you link to says "Note: Markers are not for use on smooth surfaces" which would limit usefulness for labeling a lot of electronics. Although since you actually use them, what's your real-life experience been?

Re:Lab Markers (0)

Writing on labels, tape, plastic, or rubberized surfaces it doesn't come off.

WARNING Sticker: (3, Interesting)

microcars (708223) | about 9 months ago | (#46316849)

"Contains Contaminated Body Fluids" usually keeps people from touching my stuff.

Re:WARNING Sticker: (0)

Wow, there's a whole spectrum of people who might take it, just because of that label.

Re:WARNING Sticker: (3, Funny)

Sort of like setting down a tray of food in the highschool caf with a note stating that "I spit on this" (Only to return to find a 2nd note "I did too!")

LOL

Not quite what you want but near (2)

SilverNerfer (2562803) | about 9 months ago | (#46316857)

How about these they have drawbacks but would have alerted you more quickly http://www.thetileapp.com/ [thetileapp.com]

lacking answers here, ask roadie on a band forum (5, Insightful)

raymorris (2726007) | about 9 months ago | (#46316859)

The first several replies here aren't too useful. If that continues, ask band roadies on an appropriate forum. The band I used to do lights for did up to three shows per weekend, so there was plenty of opportunity for an expensive cable to end up in the wrong person's case and that sort of thing.

Something as simple as a stripe of blue paint on ALL of your gear will really help avoid accidents. For intentional theft, if you want the pawn shop to _maybe_ notice it, engraving is probably the only way to go.

Re:lacking answers here, ask roadie on a band foru (0)

My eyes are bad.. I use paratrooper cord in dayglo colors. Mch better than blacl bag on black carpet. And you can organize your cables.

Re: lacking answers here, ask roadie on a band for (4, Funny)

ktakki (64573) | about 9 months ago | (#46317105)

Seconded. We had spray painted stencils on anything larger than 12". For mics and cables we used colored duct tape and wrote on that with a Sharpie. Every gig ended with a "dummy check" at the end of the night: even if you think everything is in the truck, it never hurts to make one last check (onstage, backstage, etc.). You'd be surprised how many times something turned up in a dummy check.

Designate one person as the gear wrangler. Teach him the Roadie's Creed:

If it's wet, drink it.
If it's dry, smoke it.
If it moves, fuck it.
If it doesn't move, PUT IT IN THE TRUCK.

-k.

Re: lacking answers here, ask roadie on a band for (5, Interesting)

I work for a small touring company, mainly ballet's and some Choirs we use a Hi- tech solution, RFID tags and a scanner on everything, when it goes into the truck or a bag gets loaded its scanned (only takes a second and you can scan packed bags and it pick up everything) end of the night/gig the generated list is checked for missing items. WE haven't lost a thing in 3 years (broke a few but thats to be expected)

Spray paint (1)

Splotches of unusual colors are easily identified. Amongst piles of gear.

Labelling won't change others' morals, but... (3, Insightful)

acidradio (659704) | about 9 months ago | (#46316875)

I can't change others' morals and not make them thieves. But I do label stuff simply so it doesn't get confused. We all have so many big power transformers to power every device and, well, I end up moving every 2-3 yrs. How will I know what all they go to? Some look identical and even have the same plugs! But not the same wattage or amperage, which makes equipment go bananas. So... for at least THAT reason it's wise to label stuff.

Re:Labelling won't change others' morals, but... (1)

Hognoxious (631665) | about 9 months ago | (#46317357)

But not the same wattage or amperage

As long as they're sufficient it's not an issue; those are maximums that the PSU can supply.

Applying an excessive voltage, however, is an entirely different thing.

Coat everything in your own shit! (0)

This is good general advice for life, too.

Marking Electronics (0)

Bic Mark It Marker or White Out

Let Dry 3 or more days

Apply one or more coats of clear nail polish, increasing the circumference with each successive coat. Expect longer drying times on surfaces which are not fingernails.

Piles and piles (1)

m.dillon (147925) | about 9 months ago | (#46316901)

About all I do is mark my dead hard drives with a big D-E-A-D and an 'X' with a ballpoint pen before throwing them into my dead-hard-drive pile (I use them to test disk driver error handling code paths so they don't get thrown away). Actual hardware... no point labeling it, really, it's just a waste of time.

Oh wait, I do use those cool Intel and AMD cpu stickers on the cases, helps me keep track of which cpu is in which computer :-)

What I do find useful is collecting together all the extra tidbits that come with a product (motherboards in particular) and throwing them into a small labeled box. Ultimately when it comes time to recycle the HW after it has gotten too old, I throw the box away at the same time or, if a friend can use the old HW, I dig into it to refurbish as much as possible and then hand it and the box over.

-Matt

Boomerangit? (1)

colfer (619105) | about 9 months ago | (#46316909)

Product page says "BoomerangIt Packs and Subscriptions are no longer available for purchase." I can't find anything written about it in the last seven years, except this: http://boomerangit.wordpress.c... [wordpress.com]

Even its offshoot the National Bike Registry seems a it moribund.

Label printer (1)

SuperKendall (25149) | about 9 months ago | (#46316921)

I use a dedicated label printer to print small tags that I attach to cables - it wraps around and sticks to itself. Most of the label printer labels are plastic and very hardy. The adhesive will stick to lots of other things really well.

For larger items (like a monitor) I'll tape a business card to it.

Labeling cables is a good idea anyway, especially for saying what device a power cord from a wall-wart goes to.

Simple easily removable labels (0)

I use simple labels from a PTouch labeler with my name and phone number, to make it easy for honest people to find me. For the dishonest, they can peel off the label.

Using as an ad space? (1)

I do put sticker right on the apple logo side of my macbook air, but not for the sake of the security. I use it as simple ad. I dine and meet to huge number of people in caffees and places like that so why missing a chance to advertise to a passing crowd?

BoomerangIt doesn't offer anything anymore? (3, Interesting)

Omega Hacker (6676) | about 9 months ago | (#46316945)

I was actually intrigued by BoomerangIt, until I noticed that a) "BoomerangIt Packs and Subscriptions are no longer available for purchase." and b) the cart indeed does not exist.

I'm a little fuzzy on how you a) start a business selling labels that promise long-term lookup&return, then b) stop selling new labels and thus getting new income, while c) still being required ("nominally") to provide the lookup&return service, without d) running out of money and imploding.

Am I missing something with either their site or their apparent lack of business model???

label maker (0)

I have labels on some of my more expensive They are very durable as well, the labels on my laptop have been on there for three years.

Don't lose stuff (0)

My solution is to just not lose stuff.
I always pack my things the same way, I put things down in the same place.
That way I don't forget things usually.
It's been working so far.
Generally the only time I can't find something is if someone else takes something, and that really isn't going to be solved by having my name on it.

I label power supplies (4, Interesting)

wiredlogic (135348) | about 9 months ago | (#46317045)

If I get a device that uses a generic unlabeled power supply I'll mark it with a silver Sharpie to remind me what it goes to.

Re:I label power supplies (1)

bussdriver (620565) | about 9 months ago | (#46317355)

Me too!

Re:I label power supplies (1)

Hognoxious (631665) | about 9 months ago | (#46317419)

I mark ethernet & USB with bands of colour. On white/light grey I just draw them on with a permanent marker. For darker cables I put primer on (the sort Games Workshop used to sell is good) first.

Superficial Damage (4, Interesting)

Demonantis (1340557) | about 9 months ago | (#46317111)

Depends on the item, but stuff that looks like junk doesn't walk away. Don't break it just add a ding or two, use sand paper, or add duct tape make people less interested in grabbing stuff for some reason.

Depends (0)

Paintpens and label makers, depending on what the unit is. Also always labeled with my FCC call sign.

Two colours of electrical tape (5, Informative)

I'm a musician as well as a hacker. I adopted the rock climber's trick of two bands of coloured electrical tape wrapped beside each other on the cable like a little flag, done at both ends of the cable. Works like a charm for speedy tear downs without losing gear.

- you can tell your cable at either end, greatly speeding up tear down
- unlikely anyone else has your flag because you are say "yellow red yellow"
- hard to peel off in a hurry (for theives)
- easy to see in the dark if you use bright colours

HTH

label it as best you can (3, Interesting)

confused one (671304) | about 9 months ago | (#46317123)

Laptop(s), tablets and phone I travel with have Lojack (or equivalent) service installed. Best case scenario is I can find it, worst case is I can reach out and turn it into a brick. I put laminated business cards in packages. Zip tie laminated business cards to some items and my bags. There's also a laminated business card or two tucked into my laptop behind covers so I can prove ownership, down the road, even if it gets wiped. Cables, etc. of any value get labels. Tools and small items get run through my employer's laser engraver. Still, small items occasionally go missing, either misplaced or stolen. Had a beard trimmer disappear out of my bag once, who'd want a used beard trimmer? It's not a perfect world, just do the best you can.

Sharpie Industrial (2, Informative)

Did you know there are two kinds of Sharpie markers? Did you ever get the impression that Sharpie markers don't work as well as they used to?

The real ones are now called Sharpie Industrial and they still work.

Obligatory: (0)

Tenacious D - Roadie : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3BamIKUnZ0

High quality labels (1)

Nebulo (29412) | about 9 months ago | (#46317213)

These are great, and I use them on all my gear. The kit includes a variety of sizes and shapes. The adhesive is very strong and will stick to virtually any surface, and the label is protected by a transparent plastic coating that makes it very resistant to scratches. The printing is rated for fade resistance after several years in the outdoors, and the price is just right.

http://www.mavericklabel.com/p... [mavericklabel.com]

Disclaimer: I used to work at this company. They're good people.

Dear Timothy (-1)

You stupid fuck. Since someone actually did pick the mic up and chose not to bring it to the lost & found, do you really think special labeling of the item would've made any difference? You dumb bag of shit. This is by far the dumbest "Slashdot Asks/Ask Slashdot" I've ever seen.

Like my cat... (5, Funny)

Chelloveck (14643) | about 9 months ago | (#46317225)

Like my cat, I just pee on everything that's mine. Or that I want to be mine. Works like a charm.

What difference would a label do? (1)

carlhaagen (1021273) | about 9 months ago | (#46317239)

Someone obviously picked it up and decided NOT to bring it to the reception or Lost And Found. How would a label on the item matter? How were you thinking when you wrote this up, Tim?

Engraving by no means permanent (1)

Jacob Leclerc (2876617) | about 9 months ago | (#46317255)

Had an iPod stolen with my name and phone number engraved. One of the first thing they did was scratch that off.

Invisible ink (1)

cormandy (513901) | about 9 months ago | (#46317301)

I mark all of my IT and electronics kit with permanent ink that is only visible with a black light. Pens were given to me by the local police.

Yes I do. (0)

I use labels.

Hair Ties (1)

umask077 (122989) | about 9 months ago | (#46317435)

I mark my cables with colored hair ties just like one would use to tie a pony tail in their hair. The are cheap, Easy to find in many colors, and are easy to put on. Sadly they are easy to remove too but I haven't encountered that problem yes. Also good for marking long cables in the house. I know the blue tie on the ethernet cable goes to the master bedroom and the green tie to my daughter's room. Simple markings.