Slashdot Asks: How Prepared Are You For an Earthquake?

timothy posted about 2 months ago | from the hey-man-what's-the-exoskeleton-for? dept.

Earth 191

With three earthquakes of some significance in the news this weekend (Chile, California, and Iceland), it seems a good time to ask: If you live in an area of seismic danger, how are you prepared for an earthquake (or tsunami, mudslide, or other associated danger) and how prepared are you? Do you have a stash of emergency supplies, and if so, how did you formulate it? In the U.S. alone, it's surprising how many areas there are with some reasonable chance of earthquakes, though only a few of them are actually famous for it — and those areas are the ones where everything from building codes to cultural awareness helps mitigate the risks. I'm not sure I'd want to be in a skyscraper in Memphis or St. Louis during a replay of the New Madrid quakes of 1811-1812, which is probably worth worrying about for those in the region. Beyond personal safety, do you have a plan for your electronics and data if the earth starts shaking?

Not Very Prepared (3, Insightful)

brian.stinar (1104135) | about 2 months ago | (#47743241)

I live in New Mexico, and we don't have many earthquakes, or tall buildings, so I am not prepared at all.

Re:Not Very Prepared (1)

YoungManKlaus (2773165) | about 2 months ago | (#47743341)

same, the biggest recorded quake n my area (somewhere in europe) was somewhere around 5 and that was a comfy 30km off...

I'm far more prepared for beta (0)

Beta will strike one day soon and it will be catastrophic.

In Seismic America... (0)

Keyboard Rage (3448471) | about 2 months ago | (#47743247)

...Earth shakes You.

Oh, wait.

Re:In Seismic America... (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743483)

...Earth shakes You.

Oh, wait.

Yes, given the trends, within a decade or two the average American will in fact be obese and thus will bring about "Seismic America".

It will be like when the dinosaurs roamed the earth and the ground quaked at their approach.

Re:In Seismic America... (1)

ArcadeMan (2766669) | about a month ago | (#47743675)

Wasn't this exact scene in a cartoon, a Weird Al Yankovic video or a B-movie parody or something? With the Jurassic Park theme and all?

s (4, Funny)

JustOK (667959) | about 2 months ago | (#47743281)

I drink alot of coffee and take amphetimines and coke and stuff and I'm totally spastic so when an earthquake hits, I'm the only one standing still.

Re:s (2)

flyneye (84093) | about a month ago | (#47744185)

I've stored my beer on a space foam mattress in the tornado shelter.
I'm ready for the nukes to drop.

Americans don't plan ahead. (2, Interesting)

That's why we destroy water supplies to export shitty shale oils.

Re:Americans don't plan ahead. (1)

ArcadeMan (2766669) | about a month ago | (#47743679)

Yeah. Shale on you.

Things (4, Insightful)

dreamchaser (49529) | about 2 months ago | (#47743305)

Electronics? Really? Those are just things. They can be replaced. My data is backed up and can be restored. The things to worry about are food, medical supplies, and water. We always have about a month's worth of food and water stored away in the event of some sort of disaster. I don't give a fuck about my electronic devices. I care about the life and well being of myself and my wife, and like I said data can be restored.

Re:Things (3, Interesting)

JaredOfEuropa (526365) | about a month ago | (#47743441)

It's all about degrees of disaster. If there's a real disaster, I wouldn't give a rodent's behind about my electronics and I too would be happy with my emergency stash of food and water. But even so I have taken some precautions... My router, server, NAS etc sit in the basement, but they are mounted as high as possible in case there's a flood, and there's a flood detector as well. No use against a real flood (we live below sea level), but if the water mains bursts or if a minor dike breaks, my stuff will be reasonably safe and I will be notified in time to move it if the flooding continues. The same level of protection that people arrange in hurricane areas, I suppose, like having sheets of wood handy to board up the windows with. Not sure how you'd protect your things against a minor earthquake, though. Not mounting them in a wobbly cabinet is probably a good start.

Re:Things (2)

K. S. Kyosuke (729550) | about a month ago | (#47743569)

I don't give a fuck about my electronic devices.

A short-wave transciever could come in mighty handy should disaster come.

Re:Things (1)

sabri (584428) | about 2 months ago | (#47744427)

A short-wave transciever could come in mighty handy should disaster come.

Would my handheld backup aviation radio work? :)

Re:Things (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47744115)

Bingo. Sure, the loss of my DVDs (audio & computer), all the stuff on my NAS, etc, would bother me... but being alive is what's important. I have at least a month's worth of food (probably 3), some water (2 weeks maybe) + a Berkey water filter I could probably take scum-water from the pond down the street and make drinkable, usually at least month's supply of pet food, flashlights and batteries, etc. And I live in the NE with probably very low chance of a sizable quake - but in 2 years we got 3 storms that knocked out power in my area for almost a week (Sandy was the last, about 5 days each time).

Simple solution ... (2)

aNonnyMouseCowered (2693969) | about 2 months ago | (#47744413)

for the electronics part. Just back up your essential data in solid state storage. You'll be dead or severely injured before your SSD, SD card, etc, is damaged, at which point you stop worrying about your electronics.

As for the other, more important stuff, I have an emergency grab bag in my room just for such incidents. All the essentials, including the flashlight and first aid kid, are packed. The food is in the fridge, which is on the way out.

Not at all (5, Interesting)

drolli (522659) | about 2 months ago | (#47743309)

I live in an area without Earthquakes.

But when i lived in Japan:

-Emergency radio with Crank generator and LED flashlight, Buzzer (in case you are trapped inside a (partially) collapsed house and dont want to shout all the time), mobile phone charger, and radio receiver for all channels, lying close/in my bed (http://tlet.co.jp/pro_radio/ty_jr11/index_j.htm)
-2 Liters of water (i lived alone)

In Japan we had earthquake drills of the housing community one time per year, and one time per year in the company. In the housing community we were shown the nearest small emergency area, which had food and water stored in boxes, medical supplies and tools/shovels. We trained how to use fire extinguishers.
And everybody shoudl have had look at (and i had) how to reach the next bigger emergency area (which typically was a bigger public park with an area for helicopter landings and some toilets.

Re:Not at all (2)

PopeRatzo (965947) | about 2 months ago | (#47743363)

Buzzer (in case you are trapped

What kind of buzzer? It's part of the crank radio? I can't read Japanese so can't tell.

Re:Not at all (-1, Troll)

Yes, you can have that in Japan. Japanese peoples are very nice. But in America, niggers would have looted it and nothing useful will be left when a emergency happen. For that reason it is best to do our own individual reserve of water food and supplies.

Re:Not at all (1)

war4peace (1628283) | about a month ago | (#47743497)

I am a fatalist. I think that if it's big, the building I live would still collapse and living on the 8th floor (out of 10) won't save me no matter what I do.

Re:Not at all (1)

houghi (78078) | about a month ago | (#47743531)

Just curious, do companies in the US do this?
In Belgium we have a yearly firedrill, because that will be the most likely disaster. So do US companies in earthquake country have drills or do companies in "Tornado Alley [wikipedia.org] train for that?

Re:Not at all (2)

Zargg (1596625) | about a month ago | (#47743721)

Just curious, do companies in the US do this?

My company in Los Angeles seems woefully under-prepared for earthquakes. We have an annual fire drill, but when I asked about earthquake drills, the response was basically "get under the desk while it's shaking, then we'll wing it and someone will announce evacuation if needed."

I think the general attitude is that new building codes will handle most earthquakes, and if the big one hits then everyone is screwed anyway. For reference my office is only 4 stories though, curious what other companies do.

Re:Not at all (2)

techno-vampire (666512) | about a month ago | (#47743915)

My company in Los Angeles seems woefully under-prepared for earthquakes.

I spent a number of years working for an ISP in Pasadena. The server room was designed to survive a 7.5 earthquake and we had something like six connections to the backbone in different directions because we were so close to the San Andreas Fault. We didn't have any earthquake drills, but I'm guessing that our plan was about the same as yours. I do know that we had to evacuate the building once because a car crashed into a power pole and brought it down, killing all of our electricity. (No way to open the windows, so no air circulation without HVAC.) Even if there were no obvious quake damage, they'd have to do the same thing if the lights went out, so it's not like they didn't have any plans in place.

Re:Not at all (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47744187)

Well, that's a relief... I can't imagine what you'd do with 12 stories falling on top of you as opposed to only 4.

Re:Not at all (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743989)

One company I worked planned an earthquake drill.
Unfortunately for the planners, about twenty minutes before the scheduled drill, there was a real earthquake.

That was the only time I was ever scheduled to participate in an earthquake drill.

All weather and natural disasters. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743539)

You advice would be well heeded in hurricane, tornado, tsunami, and other natural disaster and terrorism prone areas.

Re:All weather and natural disasters. (1)

grcumb (781340) | about a month ago | (#47744085)

Hello from the Ring of Fire!

I live in a country [wikipedia.org] with 8 active volcanoes, an average of 1.5 hurricanes annually, and regular (i.e. often more than monthly) earthquakes of significant proportions. I've personally experienced three 7+ earthquakes, two tsunami warnings and more 6+ earthquakes than I can remember.

Even the most impoverished houses are built with cinder blocks reinforced with rebar and with the gaps filled. Traditional bamboo houses with pandanus roofs are virtually indestructible, even in a cyclone. The only time I've ever felt unsafe inside a building was in a Chinese-built structure that showed structural cracks after the very first earthquake.

It's perverse, I guess, but those of us with the least to lose seem to have the least to fear, too. In spite of living in one of the most geologically dangerous spots on Earth.

Re:All weather and natural disasters. (0)

With the caveat that 2 liters of water is pathetic, even for one person. General rule of thumb should be 1 gallon per person per day.

I need an eratoiahqua proff keybaorajk (-1)

iuhiuho08sdg-87624u5bj 123svdvuiwe eithe aip asan francis otti230 ias0

Most are ill-prepared (4, Informative)

kolbe (320366) | about 2 months ago | (#47743325)

I'll be honest, as a resident of a very earthquake prone area of California I have at times forgotten about being prepared. However, there is no excuse for it. For me, I have set aside a small area in a closet with a rubbermaid container with the following set up for my family of 4:

1 Case of 36 water bottles (changed out annually)
1 Box of water purification tablets
16 Freeze Dried "MRE" foods (20yr shelf life)
1 Coleman propane stove
2M HAM Radio + spare Li-Ion Battery & Solar Charger for talking with family
AM/FM 2xAA Battery radio + Solar AA Charger
2 Flashlights w/ AA Rechargeable Batteries

Re:Most are ill-prepared (2, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743437)

Swap the batteries for AA lithium energizers. It is a cheap upgrade and compatible with all your AA equipment. They have 10 years shelf live and will not leak so you can keep some in your light. This way the light are usable immediately if the emergency happen at night.

Propane are not ideal for fuel. Look into alcohol stove. The methyl hydrate [wikipedia.org] is cheap and still available in store when everything else is out. Very few peoples use that as fuel. They are flock in into the gas station. Methanol is also safer as it will not explode.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (1)

stoploss (2842505) | about a month ago | (#47743505)

Depends on whether your flashlights are compatible with lithiums. For example, they will cook a maglight with incandescent bulbs. The bulbs burn out within 10 minutes. Perhaps that's less of a problem now, but I have other electronics that won't work with lithiums.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (1)

kolbe (320366) | about a month ago | (#47743537)

@Anonymous

I refuse to use Alcohol based products... they are horrible at heating food and Alcohol in the USA is completely unregulated, which means it may have a toxicity level that one would rather not want to worry about.

@Stoploss

And my flashlights are not... I actually have two others with the hand-crank on them, but their candlepower sucks!

While I have invested some time and money into a preparedness kit, I do not feel adding Li-On batteries for flashlights and radio are as beneficial as just having something with solar or generation capable abilities.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743615)

maglight? incendescent bulb. LOL. Nobody use maglight since the 1990s. You are overdue for a upgrade if you still use these.

Lithium AA are compatible with all AA equipments. If it run on AA, it will run on lithium AA. It could just be lot more efficient with a LED light instead of antiquities from the last century.

BTW, my key chain AAA LED light up the whole room where my father's 2x D cell incandescent barley light under his desk.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (-1, Offtopic)

ArcadeMan (2766669) | about a month ago | (#47743717)

Maybe you should get a AAA-powered spell-checker.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743845)

> family of 4
>16 Freeze Dried "MRE" foods

2 days worth of food only? Good luck with that.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743977)

1 MRE provides enough energy for a day of sustained combat operations - for a soldier.

Chances are 2 adults and 2 children could subsist do on 2-3 MREs a day without too much discomfort (other than that fucking jelly they pack the ham slices in. Fucking ham slices)

so 16 MREs, in a pinch, should get you at least 5 days. It doesn't hurt to have longer-term stores set aside somewhere, but for "grab and go" type of preparedness, 16 MREs is pretty solid.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (1)

kolbe (320366) | about a month ago | (#47744193)

Good call... I should have pulled out one of my MRE's in the first place:

MRE XXIX 09 - Made March 5, 2013 - Beef Stew
http://beprepared.com/mre-meal... [beprepared.com]

Anything but those disgusting Chicken Ala King and Tuna Noodles ones.... blah... Still cringe thinking about those.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47744371)

Good call... I should have pulled out one of my MRE's in the first place:

MRE XXIX 09 - Made March 5, 2013 - Beef Stew
http://beprepared.com/mre-meal... [beprepared.com]

GP poster is a ignoramus. Army MREs are 1200 calories [wikipedia.org] and soldiers are supposed to eat three per day to meet their 4000+ calorie/day burn rate. As a sedentary adult, you could probably get away with about 2000.

However, those food packets at your link are a lousy 300 calories. You'd have eat four of them to equal a army MRE. Hope you're as good at hunting as you boasted in your other post, friend.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (1)

kolbe (320366) | about 2 months ago | (#47744433)

My MRE's are from official Army Surplus, as are several of my items, but I couldn't find any online to use for reference on a short search.

The simple remedy here is to go to any number of REAL surplus stores and buy the 12-packs.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47744283)

Possibly but possibly not. It depends on whether they're genuine military MREs (not legal available to the civilian market) or one of the civilian MRE equivalents that's specially made to meet military standards (which only some brands do). Most civilian MRE equivalents contain less calories than military MREs.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (1)

kolbe (320366) | about a month ago | (#47744319)

Believe it or not, civilians can walk right into any Military Surplus store (most are actual Army or Navy surplus here in California) and buy them for ~$50-$80 a case of 12 or roughly ~$7 each.

I will concur though that a lot of those seen on the Internet (Amazon for example) are simply civilian knock-offs.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47744041)

The kit, as described, is a barely adequate 36 hour kit, for four people.

Personally, I'd toss the MREs, in favour of dried fruit, oatmeal, pasta, and pasta sauce.

I'd also get a bottled water dispenser, with 10 to 15 "excess" 5 gallon containers of water.

2KG of food, plus 10 liters of water, per person, per day, is the absolute minimum one should have in a survival cache.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (2)

kolbe (320366) | about a month ago | (#47744163)

Anything beyond a week is excessive imo.

Suggesting dried fruit, pasta sauce and oatmeal is outright shortsighted. How often are you going to replace those to keep them fresh?
Dried Fruit is 6 months: http://www.eatbydate.com/fruit... [eatbydate.com]
Pasta Sauce (depending on preservatives) is 1-2 years
Oatmeal is 2-3 years: http://www.eatbydate.com/grain... [eatbydate.com]

MRE's are 20-25 years! Seems like a better ROI to me...

If you include the pre-existing foods in freezers (which will stay for 48-hours), foods in the fridge (which will stay for 24-hours) and foods in the cupboard (which will stay for months) one can easily survive comfortably for two weeks or more.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (1)

kolbe (320366) | about a month ago | (#47744127)

Okay troll... Obviously you didn't think about the pre-existing food in the freezer and fridge... In total, that gives me about a week. If I need anything more, which is unlikely, I'll go hunting! Something most people, including yourself included couldn't conceive of doing.

Re:Most are ill-prepared (1)

hcs_$reboot (1536101) | about 2 months ago | (#47744431)

One thing the Japanese never forget: toilet paper.

But (1)

rossdee (243626) | about 2 months ago | (#47743333)

I moved to Minnesota so I wouldn't have to worry about earthquakes, or tsunamis

Re:But (5, Funny)

PopeRatzo (965947) | about a month ago | (#47743467)

I moved to Minnesota so I wouldn't have to worry about earthquakes, or tsunamis

Yeah, but now you're in Minnesota.

Re:But (1, Interesting)

ArcadeMan (2766669) | about a month ago | (#47743723)

No mod points today, so here's a virtual +1 Funny to you.

Re:But (1)

rossdee (243626) | about a month ago | (#47743953)

In an active seismic zone, you have virtually mo warning of an earthquake.

In Minnesota, there is plenty of time to get to the basement if there is a tornado warning, and 6 months notice of oncoming -20F temperatures

Re:But (2)

PopeRatzo (965947) | about a month ago | (#47744285)

I'll take my chances with the tsunamis.

I've been to Minnesota.

My electronic devices? (1)

viperidaenz (2515578) | about 2 months ago | (#47743335)

For an emergency?
I have a bunch of LED torches and a couple of radios. They all take AA batteries and bunch of those too.

Re:My electronic devices? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743699)

I think she was asking how you protect your electronics from earthquake damage. You wouldn't want your brand new $5,000 4K TV falling off the wall. Most homeowners insurance earthquake riders have very high deductibles for earthquake damage.

I live in a near zero earthquake area (4, Funny)

EmperorOfCanada (1332175) | about 2 months ago | (#47743355)

Where I live (Nova Scotia) basically doesn't have earthquakes. So the risk here would be Tsunami from a distant earthquake. Interestingly enough if there were a Tsunami the configuration of the seafloor would cause it to be massive and wipe everything out for 10 or more miles inland.

I am not sure how many bottles of water I would need for that scenario.

east coast hurricanes (1)

YrWrstNtmr (564987) | about a month ago | (#47743399)

Bottom 1/2 of the garage fridge is frozen water.
Always plenty of foodstuffs around
Propane and charcoal grills to cook on
In the event of actually having to bug out, one of the laptops and the main USB secondary drive that normally lives attached to the house HTPC/server. In addition to a few things in cloud storage.

Anything else...home owners insurance.

0% (1)

justcauseisjustthat (1150803) | about a month ago | (#47743413)

We are so resource constrained we just get by, if a large quake hit the San Jose area we'd be down functionally for weeks....

Prepared (1)

tquasar (1405457) | about a month ago | (#47743481)

I have canned and frozen foods that would feed me for weeks, dry pastas and sauces in jars. I own a camping trailer that has a stove, refrigerator, toilet and shower. Protect "Electronics and data..."? What do you mean? Unplug the PC 'till power is restored.

Re:Prepared (2)

MonkeyBob (904999) | about a month ago | (#47743733)

How are you planning to keep the frozen foods frozen?

As a resident of Christchurch (New Zealand), parts of the city didnt get power back for weeks after the 2011 earthquake, so frozen food was next to useless even if you could get back into your residence.

Travel trailers have dual use. (4, Informative)

Ungrounded Lightning (62228) | about a month ago | (#47743519)

We have a self-contained travel trailer that doubles as natural disaster supplies. Stocked with canned and boxed food for weeks, 14 gallons of propane (always more than 7, since you swap tanks when one of 'em empties and top 'em off after a trip) can keep the fridge going for months, and we have a couple spare tanks.

40 gallons of fresh water are good for three days of camping WITH showers. In a natural disaster you can skip the showers and stretch it for a month or so. A couple hundred amp-hours of batteries (i.e. two of 'em) can keep things going for a while and can be charged from solar panels (or the vehicle engine) as well. (And we're just starting to convert the lighting to LEDs, for about a 8-16x improvement in power consumption vs. incandescents.)

The townhouse also has canned food for months and a case or two of bottled drinking water (as does the ranch house, which also has a well if we ever get a generator, windmill, or solar panels & inverter that can run it when grid power is out.) It also provides redundancy if the trailer is damaged, just as the trailer provides redundancy if the house collapses or burns.

Travel trailers are not very expensive. Set them up for a weekend's camping, park them far enough from the house that expected disaster cases don't zap 'em both, and they'll give you your "three days until help arrives" in style, or a month's survivalist roughing-it. They also have the advantage that, if they don't get damaged in the initial event or you have warning, you can hook 'em up and move to a safer or more convenient location. All "for free" if you like occasional camping, or cross-country ground travel without having to rent allergenic hotel rooms. B-)

Re:Travel trailers have dual use. (2)

ArcadeMan (2766669) | about a month ago | (#47743735)

Dude, this is slashdot. You just confused a lot of readers by saying that.

Very. I live in New England. (1)

jpellino (202698) | about a month ago | (#47743525)

In one of the more active areas. So I'm prepared for Mag 2-ish, which means a walk around the house to check for tumbled tchotchkes and tremor-induced feline fecal eruptions. I am however prepared for our natural disaster of choice, the hurricane. Generator, water casks, camp stove, decent pantry - as Garrison Keillor mentions, when I break open the long-forgotten can of water chestnuts, I'll need to turn-to...

Moderately well prepared - Oakland, California (4, Informative)

Cliff Stoll (242915) | about a month ago | (#47743541)

Background: I live on North Oakland, next to Berkeley, in the Rockridge section. Urban, detached 2 bedroom house about 100 years old.

We bolted down our house, fully reinforced the stemwalls, and installed shearwalls. For our little 2-bedroom bungalow in Oakland, this set us back around $20,000. Earthquake insurance seemed outrageous (around $2,500/year, with very limited benefits). Along with the earthquake retrofit, we set aside a few cases of food & twenty 5-gallon jugs of water. A 2Kw Honda generator. Radio, flashlights, FRS walkie-talkies, etc. Small amount of medical stuff.

Yes, I have onsite and offsite backups (that's easy); the real problem would be connectivity after a quake. There's probably a hundred telephone poles between my house and the central office.

Some challenges: Keeping food & water fresh is a problem - cans get rusty as water condenses on cold surfaces. Some camping food goes bad. MRI rations taste, well, horrible. We should replace water & food annually, and generally forget to. (We discovered diapers in our earthquake stash, left over from when our college kids were infants)

Storing gasoline for the generator is a problem. I'm told that gasoline gets stale after a few months (is this true, or an urban legend?). It's a pain to lug a 3 gallon gas can around, and it's not something I want under my house. (I store it in a shed, where it's out of sight & out of mind - so I rarely refresh it. Is there a small, 5 or 10 gallon under-ground gasoline storage tank?). I should start and exercise the generator every month; it's more like every two years or so. Our experience in the 1989 quake was that gas stations can't pump after an earthquake (no power).

Our neighborhood's quake group (the Oakland - Rockridge Shakers) meets every summer, and the earthquake drills have been quite useful - we've had several fun practice sessions, where we hunt for human dummies hidden around the neighborhood, search for downed wires, and practice using walkie-talkies. Afterwards, it's a block party, and we compare notes while sharing lunch.

My home business, Acme Klein Bottles, lost two glass Klein bottles in last night's quake. Both fell off a shelf and shattered on the floor. Good lesson: keep my glassware stored down low, with holders to prevent boxes from shifting. Since most of my glass Klein bottles are stored under our house; a major local temblor that destroyed the house would also wipe out the business.

Re:Moderately well prepared - Oakland, California (1)

jtgd (807477) | about a month ago | (#47743747)

Consider a propane-powered generator (or maybe you can convert yours). Doesn't go stale.

Re:Moderately well prepared - Oakland, California (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47744217)

In reference to his question though, yes... I'd put year old gasoline in my lawn mower (and have), but I wouldn't put it in my car engine. Buy some "StaBil" (brand name, there's others) for it and you can extend it's life - it's an additive that keeps it from breaking down chemically.

Sta-bil fuel additive (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743889)

Off the top of my head I beleve there is a fuel addivtive called 'Sta-bil' that keeps it fresh for a lot longer. And do you have a packet of water purification tablets?

Re: Does gas go bad? (1)

SternisheFan (2529412) | about a month ago | (#47744183)

Yes it does go bad, gets sludgy, then clogs fuel filters. It's best to run seasonal equipment dry before storing. More information on gas fresh here...

http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts... [gasbuddy.com]

Re:Moderately well prepared - Oakland, California (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47744195)

It is true. Pure gasoline is fairly stable almost indefinitely provided it is stored properly. Improperly stored gas has three problems; the volatile elements that burn nicely all evaporate, other chemicals in the gas react with oxygen in the air and become other things that don't burn as well, and contamination by other things that aren't supposed to be there (such as ethanol, which pulls in a lot of water).

Unfortunately, you can't get pure gas anymore. Modern gas is crap and goes bad very quickly. This is due to all the extra additives that the refiners blend into the mix. Some due to Federal regulations (such as ethanol, and whatever they add now to replace tetraethyl lead, and other things that are supposed to reduce pollution) and some due to specific brand names (such as detergents to help clean fuel injectors, etc.). All these additives break down into gums and solids, which can corrode system components, attract water (ethanol), and results in "stale fuel". After market fuel stabilizers exist, but because the additives are still present they usually only add a few months to the storage time.

Been there, done that.... (2)

hamster_nz (656572) | about a month ago | (#47743563)

We had a 7.1 10 kms (6 miles) down the road... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2... [wikipedia.org]

We had plenty of food and water, we were a bit cold as we didn't want to light the woodburner until we checked it out properly. Had a nice BBQ with the neighbours and enjoyed a bit of quiet time and early nights as power was out for three days.

It hit at 4:35 am. However I still don't sleep approriately attired for running out of the house in the night, nor do I have shoes by the side of my bed for walking over broken glass. Most probably the two most important lessons right there (oh and don't put your bed beside a brick chimney, not that we do...).

Plan (1)

vanyel (28049) | about a month ago | (#47743583)

I have a plan: it'll all be toast.

Somewhat prepared (3, Interesting)

AaronW (33736) | about a month ago | (#47743585)

All of my bookshelves are strapped to the wall. My hot water heater has three straps (only 2 are required). Emergency rations are available plus I have my camping equipment and propane for my stove. Next to my bed I have an emergency radio that charges via USB, solar or a hand crank. I'm not terribly concerned about water though I keep several gallons of bottled water. I have a water purification system for camping but the main water supply is literally two blocks away from me though it's on the other side of the Hayward Fault. They just retrofitted the water pipes crossing the fault a few months ago right near my house. In an emergency there's always 50 gallons in my hot water tank. I also have a wrench handy for turning off the water and gas. I'm more worried about gas, especially given that we're supplied by PG&E [wikipedia.org] . It took many years of complaining by my parents until they fixed a rather sizeable gas leak under their property. The only thing I'm missing is a generator.

I imagine I'll have a lot of stuff falling off of my shelves making a huge mess.

My house is only a few hundred feet from the Hayward fault. The fault goes right through one of the nearby apartment buildings. Many years ago the developers would conveniently relocate the fault to suit them. Our old city hall which was built on stilts was built on top of a mound that was pushed up between two traces of the Hayward Fault. [google.com]

My house is bolted to its foundation and is only a single story so it will probably be OK though I might have some damage from my chimney. I also have earthquake insurance though it's quite expensive (around $4K/year).

Fuel and H20 (2, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743587)

After living in Christchurch, I can tell you that nothing mentally can prepare you.
But have water, fuel, sleeping bags, crank radio, and a tent on hand.
Fights break out over fuel - that was a surprise to me.
Water takes a long time to get where it is needed - and then it takes horrible and may even make you sick.
And be prepared to bug out - leave your material possessions behind. You realize how much of a burden material things are after an earthquake.

Re:Fuel and H20 (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47744253)

Buy a Berkey (or equivalent) water filter, and purifying tablets. The filter will remove particulate matter and living 'creatures' in the water, the purifying tablets (or in a pinch add a tiny bit of bleach) should kill anything that gets through. Don't use the cheapo water "filters" you can get at the store ("kitchen wares"), they won't work anywhere near as well as a good ceramic filter. Alternatively you can make your own with a couple 5 gal buckets, I've seen the plans online - then all you need is the ceramic filter.

Re:Fuel and H20 (2)

brantondaveperson (1023687) | about a month ago | (#47744305)

Fights break out over fuel - that was a surprise to me.

A surprise to me too. I live there, experienced the quakes, lost power and water for weeks, dug a loo in the back garden, etc etc etc. But I didn't see, or even hear about, fights breaking out over anything. Is your source that terrible 'docudrama' made by some people from Auckland who had apparently never visited Christchurch before?

Water did take a long time to show up, eventually water trucks turned up in the streets. Had the water supply been affected in a more widespread way (parts of the city were more or less unaffected, as mentioned elsewhere it's the ground conditions that really matter) we would have been in real trouble.

All I need to know.... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743647)

Is where others hoard their food....

I felt the California Quake (2)

Forever Wondering (2506940) | about a month ago | (#47743651)

I was awake and felt the Californina quake [I'm in Santa Clara county]. It's probably the 7th or so quakes I've felt over the last 30 years. Where I was it was a small sway for 3-4 seconds. I was lucky [my heart goes out to those more deeply affected]. In the 1989 quake I was in Europe, but came back to find my place had stuff flung everywhere.

My prep [not great]:
- 20 cans of spam [survival rate: one can/day]
- Bottles of water
- Bleach [1 drop per gallon of water from the toilet tank]
- Flashlights with batteries
- Landline phone (with old trimline so that it works w/o power)
- Try to keep my gas tank at least 1/2 full
- Car charger for cell phone
- USB thumb drive on my key ring with copies of all my important documents [*]

[*] Had a fire that gutted half the building near mine once. I had HD backups of data, but they could have gone up in smoke. After that, I got the thumb drive. Now I scan in as much as I can [or print receipt/confirmations to .pdf files]

Re:I felt the California Quake (1)

phantomfive (622387) | about 2 months ago | (#47744451)

- 20 cans of spam [survival rate: one can/day]

Bonus: After day 20, you won't want to survive anymore.

Some preperation (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743673)

I live in a "potential" earthquake zone (or so the state officials claim) and have some marginal preparation, mostly camping supplies I use for backpacking. If I have to "bug out" I figure I'm good for maybe a week. Somewhat longer if I can "shelter-in-place" and use household canned goods and a couple of 5-gallon water jugs.

Camping gear comes in handy... (2)

Sodakar (205398) | about a month ago | (#47743701)

I would suggest reading up on http://www.sf72.org/home [sf72.org] if you haven't already.

One piece of advice is that if you collect portable camping gear, you'll find yourself decently prepared, since many of the items you need for camping also assume that you don't have regular infrastructure. Camping food/water also have 5+ year shelf life, so you can go camping and use up your old supply, as well as get practice using all your gear. No point waiting 20+ years to find out you have no idea how to use it.

So... between a month of food/water, a tent, sleeping bags, portable lanterns, wood/gasoline stoves, portable cookware, water filtration kits, solar power stations, hand-crank radio/light/chargers, steel-bottom/tip shoes, kevlar gloves, household tools (hammer, nails, wrenches, etc), outdoor tools (shovel, hand-operated chainsaw, etc), real first aid kits, etc, you find yourself decently prepared.

An added luxury would be a generator... Though costly, that would help keep your fridge alive, and there's usually a week+ worth of food in there, and you don't need your generator running 24-7 to prevent the contents from spoiling. Having enough fuel (or siphon from your car), extension cables, and a safe place to safely deploy it without concentrating CO or attracting too much attention might be a challenge, though. In a pinch, you can do this without a generator by using your running car and a 120V inverter, but that means leaving your car on, and again, we run into the same issues mentioned above.

If you're concerned about personal mobility, it's worth noting that you can buy solid (but heavy) mountain bike tires that cannot have flats, and it's something I've considered, but have not acted on yet.

All in all, I hope we all can get a bit more prepared and increase our chances at making it through these challenging events...

Why worry about skyscrapers? (4, Insightful)

Behrooz (302401) | about a month ago | (#47743703)

Almost certainly safer than anywhere else. Skyscrapers are pretty much universally steel-framed structures which are relatively resistant to seismic loading, subject to stringent building codes, by definition need massive foundations driven to a solid base, and already need to resist dynamic wind-loading forces with resonance effects. Even mid-rise 6-10 story buildings are likely to be quite safe given the inherent seismic benefits of steel-frame construction and attention paid to building codes in the USA.

Has any modern skyscraper ever experienced significant structural failure resulting in loss of life as a result of an earthquake? Ever? Even in areas known for less-than-enthusiastic enforcement of building standards?

Re:Why worry about skyscrapers? (2)

MonkeyBob (904999) | about a month ago | (#47743771)

In Christchurch we had a 6 storey building collapse. Not technically a "skyscraper", but whatever.

We have fairly tight building regulations (known earthquake area), so it came as a bit of a surprise.

Turns out that the engineer was inept.

Don't be surprised if this happens in other areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C... [wikipedia.org]

Re:Why worry about skyscrapers? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743857)

7 World Trade Center fell for no reason other than a fire. Fires are a very common side-effect of earthquakes so expect tall buildings to drop like flies if there is ever an earthquake near a city. Luckily, most quakes happen in unimportant places.

Even worse are the five story apartment buildings where I live in Seattle. There are dozens going up that do not have a concrete or even a steel frame. They're 100% wood that looks like they'll collapse like a house of cards even in a small earthquake. Also, a fire will easily down them. Of course as long as there are stupid people with half a million dollars lined-up to by those deathtraps, developers will continue to build them.

Offsite backups (1)

rlh100 (695725) | about a month ago | (#47743725)

The importance of offsite backups for personal data or data for a small company can not be stressed enough. In a major quake fire is a very real danger. Natural gas lines break and a spark can start a fire.

Offsite backups do not need to be fancy. I have two 1 TB USB drives I use for backup. I copy all of my data to one drive and then take it to my parents house. I then do backups to the second drive. Every month or so, I swap the two drives. If the drive in my house gets destroyed I only loose a month of data, not all of my data. You could also backup to the cloud but I would rather not have the cloud provider grubbing through my personal data.

The two USB drives solution is low-tech and low-cost. You just have to remember to swap the two drives every now and then.

Just a reminder.... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743731)

Earthquakes aren't the only disaster to prepare for.

The Gulf coast and East coast are prone to hurricanes, roughly the northern third of the US is prone to blizzards and the Midwest through New England can be prone to tornadoes.

It doesn't hurt to be at least minimally prepared for appropriate disasters whether you need to shelter in place or bugout.

If you live in a portion of the US not prone to earthquakes, hurricanes, blizzards, floods or tornadoes, then count your blessings. Even then it doesn't hurt to have a bugout bag in case of fire.

Just sayin'.

Host file (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743757)

I use my host file to redirect earthquakes to Iceland. Nobody notices, as they are regular there.

From my experience (2, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743781)

In the last 4 years I have experienced the following:
1x Magnitude 7 quake
5x Magnitude 6 quakes
Lost count of the magnitude 5s. If I wasn't thrown out of bed, I didn't bother getting up and running for cover.

This was all living in the one city (Christchurch.) Prior to the quakes the city was considered to have a reasonably low risk of quakes - and then it was expected damage would occur from fault lines around 100km away. However it was hit by shallow quakes directly under the city.

What I learnt (not all from first hand experience, but I know people did):
Damage to property and services vary wildly - and generally the ground conditions have a far greater affect on damage than proximity to the epicentre.
Avoid liquifiable ground. Not only is the shaking worse in those areas, all the services and roads will be completely ruined.
Avoid living on the very tops of hills. Shaking internally reflects and all the energy gets focused at the top of the hills.
Avoid living at the top or bottom of cliffs or hillsides below rock outcrops. Falling rocks are bad!
Cell phones are useless in a disaster. You'd think the civil defense would know this, but they decided cellphones would be cheaper and easier than a 2 way radio system. They learnt their lesson the hard way.
Trying to call people via land lines is equally bad. However, in my case, the internet worked perfectly. (Skype out was very handy for getting hold of people outside of the city.)
Severely damaging quakes can hit anywhere (even in what are considered to be zero/low risk areas.) It's only the interval between quakes that vary.
Keep a shovel handy for creating emergency toilets.
The two things super markets run out of fastest: Bread and water. There are plenty of other food stuffs that can be used in a pinch. I resorted to making my own bread - water supply never stopped, but did have to boil a lot of water.
Greater magnitude of quake doesn't necessarily mean more damage. You should be more worried about PGA (Peak Ground Acceleration.) The worst parts of Christchurch had PGA of 2.2 G (yes more than 20 m/s^2) in a mag 6 quake. In contrast the single mag. 7 only produced PGA of 0.4 G. 185 people died in the mag. 6, vs only 2 injured enough to go to hospital in the mag. 7.

Re:From my experience (3, Interesting)

NeoTron (6020) | about a month ago | (#47744203)

I lived in Japan for 6 years, in Koriyama city, Fukushima prefecture, and went through the Magnitude 9 quake on the 11th March 2011.

I'll second everything you said, with the addition of;

-- A generator if the power is cut off (luckily the power stayed on after that quake [ VERY luckily!])
-- Some gerry cans filled with gasoline [ with a regime of fuel rotation to keep the gas fresh ]
      as you need fuel for the genny.

-- Keep your vehicle fuel tanks filled to the top - you might have to evacuate the area [ my house was 33 miles
      from the Fukushima Dai-ichi power plant that went FOOM! ]
-- If you do live nearby by a nuclear power plant, get a Geiger counter [ bought one after the aforementioned BANG ]

-- Don't live nearby the sea [ Koriyama is smack bang in the middle of Japan and the scale of tsunami required to reach
        there from the ocean would be so great that the cause of the tsunami (quake, asteroid, whatever) would render any
        preparation or plans irrelevant anyway ]
-- Don't live at a low elevation, because even if you're some miles inland a tsunami can still get at you [ as happened in Japan ]
-- This includes not living nearby a river that runs to the sea for obvious reasons

Oh, and I moved me and mine back to my native Scotland - good, solid, ancient and most importantly, inert land.

Sufficiently (1)

gman003 (1693318) | about a month ago | (#47743785)

I think I'm sufficiently prepared for any likely disaster.

I'm not really at threat from earthquakes - the biggest one in recent history was only 5.8. Hurricanes are more common, but more to country folk (with the trees and lengthy loss of power - now that I live downtown, I'm not worried about that). Floods are a risk, but I live fairly high up on the hills so I should be decently protected from that. Any tsunami that can make it 100km inland is going to kill me no matter what, so no use prepping for that. There's always the unpredictable disasters - fire, asteroids, and whatnot - but my preparations should be sufficient for the stuff most likely to affect me.

I have a week's supply of clean water (plus whatever is in the fridge at any given time), as well as a good amount of non-perishable food. I have a flashlight and numerous spare batteries. I have a cell phone that can last two days without recharging, if I conserve. In my car, I have more emergency supplies (more food, first aid, and blankets in case I'm trapped in snow). I always keep at least a quarter tank in it, in case I need to evac. I'm well situated for the recovery - I'm within walking distance of a major rail line, an interstate highway, and a small dock, so once the pieces start getting put back together, I can be there. The only thing I'm really lacking is an emergency radio.

Most importantly, I've found that I tend to react well in disasters. I freeze for about five seconds while my brain dumps adrenaline into everything, but then I act both quickly, and mostly correctly. Fire alarm goes off at 1AM? I'm the first one out, and I still checked every door along the way to avoid flashovers. Earthquake? I went for the door frame - an incorrect response once I did the research, but a) that was what I had been taught, b) it was still better than the people who left the building, but stayed almost directly under the large glass windows, and c) it was *something* - a lot of people didn't do anything until someone started telling them to. So yeah, I'm mentally prepared in that I know what to do, and seem to have lucked into being one of the ones who actually does it when the time comes.

Water and food for 4 days (1)

rlh100 (695725) | about a month ago | (#47743803)

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so the risk of a major quake that will disrupt power, water and roads is very real. I have 12 one gallon bottles of water in their boxes bought when they were on sale for a buck a piece. I store it in my basement next to the outside door so I can probably get to them even if the house has major structural issues.

Water is important. You can live for a week or more without food. But no water will do you in after a few days. In a major earthquake, it is very likely that the water system will fail. Broken pipes, lack of power, contaminated supply, etc.

Food is probably not a big issue. You probably have 4 or 5 days of food in your kitchen. Those cans in the back of the cupboard, soup mix, rice, beans or other dry goods. It may not be very appetizing, but it is food.

In America we are lucky. In the event of a major earthquake or other natural disaster, the rest of the country will rally. Food, water, tents, bedding will be brought in in a matter of days. You just have to plan for the first 96 hours.

Earthquake preparedness kit (4, Informative)

ciurana (2603) | about a month ago | (#47743853)

Here you go: http://eugeneciurana.com/fotki... [eugeneciurana.com] -- that's a photo of the stashes we have in our home in Acapulco and in San Francisco. Both are in active seismic zones, and likely to get hit by some disaster at some point.

Since you can see most of the contents, I rather tell you about our guidelines for disaster preparedness:

* Have enough supplies to subsist for up to 7 days, normal calorie intake, for everyone in the family
* Ditto for water
* Tool box with emergency tools (wrench for gas and water valves, pliers, screw drivers, a couple of Leatherman tools), matches, and
* Solid alcohol stove and several refills
* Full first aid kit including gauze, ice packs, antiseptics, anti-diarrhea pills, etc. and a sewing kit
* Crank radios and flashlights
* Battery operated perimeter lamps
* Assorted Cyalume sticks in green, white, blue, and red colors
* Deck of cards, puzzles, etc. to kill the time

The food is all either canned or dehydrated, and it works way better than MREs. The only thing we'd miss are fresh fruits; we even have powdered milk. Every year around Dec/Jan I consciously cook with all the things in the food stash that are within ~6 months of recommended use by date. All those things are replenished and ready to go. We found that most cans and dehydrated food have an approximate 18-24 months duration, so we don't go on the Spam and etc. diet more than every other year for more than 2 or 3 days. Plus it's fun readying everything and testing, etc.

Last night -- the earthquake woke my g/f up (we were in our SF home). The bookshelves rattled a bit, and I was wondering if the quake had been strong enough to knock my motorcycle off the center stand, but the toddler was fine and slept through it, power never faltered, and otherwise it was a nice and uneventful evening.

I lived through several earthquakes in my life (in fact, all my life I lived in seismic zones) so I'll be happy to address questions, if any.

Cheers!

Prepare for zombies. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743855)

Prepare for zombies. Seriously. Infectious zombies that is, not those gay undead things. Nerds.

Preparing for a zombies logically will make you prepared for almost anything outside of aliens / planetary annihilation. (you could survive the latter with great expense and an imagination, also some engineering knowledge)

Food, defence, tools, drink, medical gear, communication, covers it all, infection avoidance, treating every encounter with careful suspicion.
Given you are treating anyone with suspicion at all times (who would tell someone they got bitten?), you will be less likely to be exploited by someone, or bitten and turned in to a zombie / rabies / whatever.
Of course, it won't stop someone putting a bullet / bolt / axe in your head if they tried. Probably.

Equally, get to the highest place that is defensible, that will get you away from floods, tsunamis, possible floor is lava situations, pyroclastic flows (if higher than the flow of course. Don't climb the damn volcano!), mudslides.
Downside is if it was a nuke situation, you'd most likely receive a higher dose of radiation.

Virtual threats are always the best threats. The crazier, the better. Treat any emergency situation as the worst possible situation and focus. Laziness gets you killed. Equally teach your kids. Kids are the worst in emergencies. If they shit themselves and scream and such, it could possibly get you killed in the case of, say, someone was going to kill you and you had to hide.

tl;dr : get your ass to Mahs.

Survival guy (2, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743861)

This is my check list of things to do in the event of local/national disaster:

1. Head to the nearest Wal-Mart, Kmart, Costco or whatever and pick-up 20 lbs. of white or brown rice and 20 lbs. of pinto beans. White rice has a better storage life while brown rice has more nutritional benefits Ã" your choice.

2. While youÃ(TM)re there grab 5 lbs. mixed beans, 5 lbs. of white sugar, 5 lbs. of iodized salt, one gallon of olive oil (can be frozen to extend shelf-life), 5 lbs. oats, 10 lbs. each of white or wheat flour and cornmeal.

3. Now head over to the canned foods and pick-up 20 cans of canned fruits and 20 cans of canned vegetables. Be sure to buy only those brands and contents you normally eat and nothing exotic. No need to shock the senses.

4. Now over to the canned meats. Pick-up 20 cans of various meats, salmon, stews, spam and tuna. Again buy only those brands with contents you normally eat and nothing exotic.

5. Okay. Now to the to the peanut butter shelf and toss two 40-ounce jars in the cart. The listed shelf life is just over two years and each jar has over 6,000 calories. Peanut butter is an excellent instant survival food.

6. Over to the powdered drink mix Ã" go on IÃ(TM)ll waitæOkay, pick up two 72 Ounce Tang Orange drink canisters (provides 100% of the US RDA vitamin C requirement per 8 oz. glass). Also grab six 19-Ounce Containers of Kool-Aid Drink Mix.

7. Off to the vitamin and supplement aisle, pick up 400 tablets Ãoeone a dayà multivitamin and mineral supplements. I buy this brand at the local Wal-Mart Ã" comes in 200 count bottle for $8 each.

8. Now to the department we all love Ã" sporting goods. Go to the camping aisle and pick up 4 five gallon water containers. Fill with tap water as soon as you get back home.

9. While youÃ(TM)re there buy 250 rounds of ammunition for your primary defensive weapon. More if you can, but this will be a good start. Also a good universal cleaning kit.

10. And lastly pick up the best LED flashlight you can afford, extra batteries and bulb. Also grab two boxes of wooden matches and several multi-purpose lighters. DonÃ(TM)t forget to date, use and rotate Ã" remember first in first out. LetÃ(TM)s get started. What would you add to the list?

Survival guy (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743879)

Print it out and stick it to your refrigerator and then never worry again about what to do if the worst should happen...

The list above is courtesy of: http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/preppers-checklist/

On a side note Slashdot, stop using imbedded colors for text and backgrounds in your beta.

Let me Check... (2)

wisnoskij (1206448) | about a month ago | (#47743881)

Yep, my Lootin Bag is there and all accounted for.

General perparedness (1)

silas_moeckel (234313) | about a month ago | (#47743923)

Not living anyplace earthquake prone, but generally prepared.

2 Generators (need to convert one or both to propane since that stores well)
A couple months supply of water, plus a reliable spring on property.
A few months on food. (just regular sundries that get rotated through)

It really surprises me when a blizzard happens and people are running to stock up. Sure I make a french toast run (Milk Eggs Bread) as boxed milk is expensive to regularly use, eggs well they go bad and powered eggs same as milk, and bread well its easier than making from scratch.

As to long term prep talk to the LDS people while I don't condone there or anybody else's religion they seem to have a love of being prepared.

As far as data goes personal backups are stored at multiple offsite facilities and have a portable copy of the critical stuff.

I prepared.... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743951)

...by living in a non-Quake area.

Since I'm a Mormon... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743963)

my Mom does that for me.

Preparing When You Are On The Road (2)

sk999 (846068) | about a month ago | (#47743983)

It pays to prepare, even if you don't live in a quake-prone area. I've felt 7 quakes in all and most have been while I was on the road, including yesterday's Chile quake, when I was in the Santiago airport. It was strong enough that the staff came through later to make sure everyone was OK and to admonish everyone that they should have stayed away from the windows. The duty free shop was shut down, so I guess the lesson is to get your shopping out of the way sooner rather than waiting.

My list: (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47743995)

Gun(s)
Ammo
Armor
Half a bottle of water
Balaclava

Multi-Use Emergency Go Bags (3, Informative)

l0ungeb0y (442022) | about a month ago | (#47744121)

I have 3 identical Backpacks that contain the following 1 Pump Action Shot Gun 1 .45 handgun 10 boxes of ammo for each gun 1 machete 1 Spyder hunting/Utility knife Magnesium Firestarter LED Flashlight Compass a couple dozen dehydrated meals Sumo mini cooker 4 propane cans for teh Sumo 2 gallons of Water A couple pouches of Beef Jerky Bivy Sack Tarp 2 20" lengths of nylon rope 1 travel sized 1st Aid kit I keep one in my Car, one at home in the Hall Closet and one as a GeoStash out in an outlaying sparsely populated area I can get to by foot if needed. The contents of these bags are very versatile and will cover me in the case of Zombie Apocalypse, Governmental Collapse/Tyranny, Alien Invasion and oh yes... Earth Quakes

Houston, No need to prepare for earthquakes (2)

tcmatthews_jr (1375003) | about 2 months ago | (#47744385)

I have no need to prepare for earthquakes. I do have a plan for Hurricanes. The good thing about Hurricanes is you can see them coming. So I just keep a Hurricane plan. In general I do not keep water bottles just water storage containers. I have found I do not drink the water bottles so that is wasteful.
The plan:
1) Keep staples such as rice, noodles, and beans in pantry and a supply of batteries. (that plus food in freezer is usually enough for 3/5 days.
2) Fill freezer with water jugs (old milk cartons or any thing else not for drinking)
3) Check all camping gear
4) board up House (or tape windows)
5) Pack go bag
6) stay/go decision
If cat 4/5 shut of gas/water and go
else stay fill bath tubs, drinking containers and all post/pans with water.

Water containers are for drinking, bath tubs and pots pans are for bathing or flushing toilet if water pressure is lost.