Ask Slashdot: Best Phone Apps?

Soulskill posted about 3 months ago | from the there's-an-app-for-picking-apps-that-pick-apps dept.

Cellphones 167

An anonymous reader writes: The phone app ecosystem has matured nicely over the past several years. There are apps for just about everything I need to do on my phone. But I've noticed that once an app fills a particular need, I don't tend to look for newer or potentially better apps that would replace it. In a lot of areas, I'm two or three years out of date — maybe there's something better, maybe not. Since few people relish the thought of installing, testing, and uninstalling literally hundreds of apps, I thought I'd put the question to the Slashdot community: what interesting, useful new(ish) apps are you aware of? This can be anything from incredibly slick, well-designed single purpose apps to powerful multi-function apps to entertainment-oriented apps.

First "What What" (-1, Offtopic)

Let's do it in the butt, okay

I feel you watching me
Over there
Come to me
If you care
Don't sit and stare
It's just not fair
Make your move
If you dare
What what

Let's do it in the butt, okay

It's okay
To have a little fight
Don't you worry
I won't bite (Not that hard)
If you want it
I'll give you power
Just be gentle
I'm delicate like a flower

Let's do it in the butt, okay

I will give you what you need
All I want is your big fat seed
Give it to me, if you please
Give it to me, if you please
I will give you what you need
All I want is your big fat seed
Give it to me, if you please
Give it to me, if you please

What what, in the butt
Let's do it in the butt, okay

No Such App (-1)

'nuff said.

Re:No Such App (1)

Z00L00K (682162) | about 3 months ago | (#47791867)

Best app depends on your needs, an app for Maidenhead Grid Locator is great for ham radio operators, but pretty useless for anyone else.

Please post what the best religion is (1)

frovingslosh (582462) | about 3 months ago | (#47792047)

I'm not happy with the religion that I was born into, many of the leaders have turned out to be child molesters and other leaders all the way to the top of the organization have turned out to be doing things that were protecting them from the law. So please post back and tell me what the best religion is.

Re:Please post what the best religion is (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47792079)

Emacs.

Re: Please post what the best religion is (0)

Vi

Re: Please post what the best religion is (2)

frovingslosh (582462) | about 3 months ago | (#47792865)

Absolutely NOT. Vi serves a false god.

Re:Please post what the best religion is (0)

teco, all others are false prophets.

Re:Please post what the best religion is (0)

Same is unfortunately true for teachers and police.

Re:Please post what the best religion is (0)

Atheism. There are no leaders to worry about. Why do you think you need to "join a religion" ?

Re:Please post what the best religion is (1)

lucm (889690) | about 3 months ago | (#47792737)

Why do you think you need to "join a religion" ?

Because all the good ones have already been created.

Re:Please post what the best religion is (1)

frovingslosh (582462) | about 3 months ago | (#47792857)

Actually, got there over 40 years ago, and don't really think that I need one. The question was obviously to show how pointless asking what the best phone apps are. Everyone thinks the ones they use are the "best".

Re:Please post what the best religion is (1)

BronsCon (927697) | about 3 months ago | (#47793081)

Of course they do, or they'd be using something else... which they'd think was the best, or they wouldn't be using it because they'd be using something better, instead, because they want to be using the best. And if what they were using wasn't the best, well, they'd find something better, because...

Well, I could go on forever like that...

Re:Please post what the best religion is (0)

New age religion, eh?

What a stupid question (3, Insightful)

What's next? "Ask Slashdot: What food is good?" or "Ask Slashdot: What's the best place to live?"

Re:What a stupid question (1)

"Could you recommend a good dealer?"

Re:What a stupid question (2)

CaptainDork (3678879) | about 3 months ago | (#47792707)

Joe Bob's Chevrolet ... "Right on the corner ... right on the price."

Re:What a stupid question (1)

ganjadude (952775) | about 3 months ago | (#47792947)

...... no comment

Re:What a stupid question (4, Insightful)

Andurian (1162629) | about 3 months ago | (#47791831)

"What food is good?" and "What's the best place to live?" aren't particularly part of the "news for nerds" paradigm. Questions about phone apps are. I don't know about Apple's store, but Google Play is absolutely abysmal when it comes to helping users find great apps. I think his question is fine, and on point.

Re:What a stupid question (1, Offtopic)

ZeroPly (881915) | about 3 months ago | (#47791865)

It is too broad. Asking nerds what apps are good is like strolling into a literature forum and asking "I haven't read a book in 15 years - anything new out that you think is good?"

Re:What a stupid question (1)

khasim (1285) | about 3 months ago | (#47791893)

Well this "Twilight" series is a best seller. As is this "50 Shades of Grey".

I really with the old Twilight Zone was still running. I think that that premise would make a great episode.

Re: What a stupid question (0)

It's like asking an alcoholic "Which beer is good here?"

Re:What a stupid question (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47791923)

What is the one true religion?

Re:What a stupid question (1, Offtopic)

NEDHead (1651195) | about 3 months ago | (#47791947)

None of the above?

Re:What a stupid question (0)

What is the one true religion?

Science. It's my religion.

Re:What a stupid question (1, Offtopic)

obarel (670863) | about 3 months ago | (#47792181)

I have a really important question about a piece of string.

Re:What a stupid question (4, Funny)

CaptainDork (3678879) | about 3 months ago | (#47792711)

Sorry, but string theory is off-topic.

Re:What a stupid question (0)

What's next?

A follow-up post "what tips do you have on how to publish a thick magazine/thin book entitled '100 best apps' and sell it for $5.99 in supermarkets.?"

Re:What a stupid question (0)

Better yet, sell it for .99 on the App Store.

not again ... (-1, Offtopic)

Please stop the redirection to beta

You claim you heard us and are working on fixing the shortcomings of beta. Then why do you keep redirecting us randomly to it, knowing it is defective in its current state ?
Stop redirecting, fix the problems as you perceive them to be, and try again.

Many opponents of beta don't believe that it is possible to fix it, but that is irrelevant. If YOU believe it needs fixing and that it is possible, your current random redirection of large groups of visitors does not make sense. It only infuriates people. The redirection to a broken product is likely the single reason for the protest in the comments to continue, and only drives more people to the alternative slashdot initiatives. Most people would probably be happy to wait and see how you fix beta, but no, you have to push it in our face every 4th time we visit, broken as it is.

On the other hand, if you think beta is fine, and it is ok to redirect people there, then why not simply disable classic altogether and get it over with ?

kind regards,
your "audience"

Re:not again ... (0)

Here's a thought. Instead of whining about it, why not write a greasemonkey script to fix the problems then share them with everyone?

I'm struggling to decide which is worse, beta or people whining about beta.

music streamer (4, Informative)

If you've got more than a few GB of music then get subsonic. You can stream your full collection from home to your phone to listen to at work, in the car, etc. When you're offline or configured to only stream over wifi you can have it stick to playing the last few GB you've configured to cache on your device.

Re:music streamer (1)

aheath (628369) | about 3 months ago | (#47791927)

I took a quick look at the Subsonic web site. It looks like a great app and a nice way to stream my digital music collection. I have to find the time to digitize my analog music collection. Thank you for the recommendation.

Re: music streamer (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47792001)

As someone who digitized my own music colllection (after "culling the herd", getting rid of crap I listened to in my teens) I believe that you should rephrase your statement.

In my case, what I did was used old crappy p4 desktops that were no longer used and added more DVD drives. Cobbling all this crap together was a pain in the butt because once I had them all up and running I had to decide Linux vs windows, mp3 vs flac, bitrate quality vs quantity (of mp3s I could rip per day). I found that using old machines to do this was a poor idea because they couldn't convert very quickly. So it's a process that you learn takes hours that turn into days, and perhaps weeks. For what?

Your rephrased statement should be " I need to find the time to google for a service that will digitize my music for me".

In closing...I no longer listen to any music that I digitized. I fire up 8tracks or occasionally some other streaming service.

Re: music streamer (0)

If it was analog, they didn't digitize it by ripping CDs. Are you really that uninformed?

Re: music streamer (0)

Converting from a more tedious (but "warm" sounding) analog format to digital would be even worse. Are you really that petulant?

Re: music streamer (0)

I just downloaded top quality versions of my collection, saved time, figgured why not?

Re:music streamer (2)

SternisheFan (2529412) | about 3 months ago | (#47792991)

You don't 'need' a straming app for music. My phone accepts a 64gb SD card that doesn't need to 'stream' music, it just plays it.

Re:music streamer (0)

Well not all of us 'have' a 64gb expansion or room on it to dedicate to music. And not everybody 'wants' to sycn shit with their phone all the time. These people 'need' a streaming app. Stop 'being' such a twit.

Re:music streamer (1)

SternisheFan (2529412) | about 3 months ago | (#47793267)

Pardon me, didn't mean to get your panties all up in a bunch. No one needs to stream anything, they want to, 'cause it's easier for them.

yo. (2)

Noah Haders (3621429) | about 3 months ago | (#47791709)

if you haven't tried a new IM client in a couple years, try yo.

Re:yo. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47791945)

yo

Yo

Re:yo. (2)

tverbeek (457094) | about 3 months ago | (#47792723)

traffic apps (0)

If you live in Washington or Oregon I strongly recommend the WA Department of Transportation app, which is free and does a great job of giving updated traffic and ferry information all over Cascadia. It's pretty much the only app I miss (I simplified back to a stupid phone, which imho is a better way to live).

Re:traffic apps (1)

aheath (628369) | about 3 months ago | (#47791961)

I live near Boston. I'd load the MBTA app if I used public transportation. Unfortunately I work in the burbs so I rely upon Google maps for navigation and traffic information. I think about switching back to a flip phone every time Android does something that I don't expect. I'm also much happier with a real keypad instead of a fake keypad. This is why I bought a Nexus 5 so I'm not locked into a carrier contract. The most compelling reason for me to upgrade to a smart phone was to make it much easier to exchange long text messages with my wife and son. Android speech to text is a fun way to send some interesting text messages.

Re:traffic apps (0)

NextBus, for the Boston area. It's very handy to know when the next buses are coming, based on the bus's own GPS systems, and the actual NextBus app itself beats the tar out of the half-dozen apps that re-organize Nextbus data.

NO (0)

Slashdot !== Google [lmgtfy.com]

the one where it dials someone (0)

and you can actually talk to them - without it dropping!

Beta SUCKS (-1)

might as well make use of this pointless post.

Common Sense (2)

TubeSteak (669689) | about 3 months ago | (#47791761)

That would be the killer app.

Re:Common Sense (1)

I found this killer app, already installed on my phone... it lets you dial a number, and talk into the phone, and hear the voice of the person who's number you dialed. It's really amazing, no playing around with virtual keyboards or any of this other stuff, it's all voice activated after you dial!!!

Re:Common Sense (3, Funny)

ganjadude (952775) | about 3 months ago | (#47792975)

NSA spyware, I deleted that app right away!

This, of course (0)

well errrr (0)

Doesn't this depend on what you do? I have a cable loss calculator and a protractor app, and bbc iplayer. That's it, sometimes I'll install an ftp server as it's a convenient way for me to backup. So 3 apps, assuming you're exactly the same as me

ES File Explorer for Android (-1)

You can browse network shares with this and stream videos. It is easily the most useful app I've encountered thus far

Audible (2)

bhlowe (1803290) | about 3 months ago | (#47791797)

I love listening to books... So Audible is where a lot of my entertainment money goes. Great for car trips or commuting. Goodreads is a good app for logging and rating books you've read. Unfortunately, the two are not merged, so buying a book on audible doesn't add it to good reads.. Audible has a free trial.. You really should pick out a good book and give it a listen.

Who cares about existing apps? (1)

Re:Who cares about existing apps? (1)

nospam007 (722110) | about 3 months ago | (#47791835)

"The better question would be, are there any apps that you would like to have, but that don't exist (yet)?"

A non-beta slashdot app that shows me actual news for nerds, stuff that matters?

Re:Who cares about existing apps? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47791907)

Have you tried "Slashdot Reader"?

Re:Who cares about existing apps? (2)

Noughmad (1044096) | about 3 months ago | (#47792319)

Have you tried PlusFive, the link in my sig? It looks a lot like the old Slashdot interface.

bash (0)

See subject line.

The question makes no sense. (-1, Flamebait)

obarthelemy (160321) | about 3 months ago | (#47791843)

It's way too imprecise. For the staples, Lifechacker.com has regularly "best of" lists.

Engine Driver and JMRI. (1)

McLae (606725) | about 3 months ago | (#47791857)

JMRI and Engine driver are niche programs and apps, for Model Railroaders. I use both several times a week. Fantastic job of updating with new decoder definitions, new features, and tie-ins to various manufacturers. If you are looking for a project to show you the way to excellence, this is the one. All open source, too!

I use a conservative less is more approach (2)

aheath (628369) | about 3 months ago | (#47791861)

I upgraded from a flip phone to a Nexus 5 last month. I've taken the less is more approach to loading apps on my phone. I've also tried to avoid installing apps from unknown vendors. I installed Avast Mobile Security to keep the phone secure and virus free. I installed the Kobo app so I can read books when I forget to bring a book or my Kobo eReader. I'm trying to lose some weight so I've installed several fitness apps - Couch-to-5K, DogWalk, FitBit, MapMyRun, MapMyHike, MapMyWalk and MyFitness Pal. I installed the mindfulness app because it has the best meditation timer that I could find on Google Play. I can't remember what other apps I've installed because I uninstalled them once I decided that I wouldn't use them.

I forgot to take my Lego keychain flashlight with me when I walked the dog last night. I was looking for a flashlight app this morning. I couldn't find a flashlight app that didn't collect data that I was willing to share with an unknown vendor. I'm planning to move all my house keys to Lego key chains. I may also hack the leash and use a wire tie to attach a fash light and a set of house keys.

Re:I use a conservative less is more approach (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47791949)

Try Search Light: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scottmain.android.searchlight

Apache2 licensed and just requires access to the camera.

Re:I use a conservative less is more approach (1)

fightermagethief (3645291) | about 3 months ago | (#47792149)

*cringe ...fitness apps.
Just run until you are tired.
And then run for another 2 hours.
No app necessary.
Installing apps is time wasted that could be spent doing some pushups.

Re:I use a conservative less is more approach (2)

ezelkow1 (693205) | about 3 months ago | (#47792155)

Look for 'Power toggles' ( https://play.google.com/store/... [google.com] ) . That is what I use on my nexus 5. It asks for camera permission for the flashlight, and alert window, and root for running root cmds which has no effect on non-rooted phones. It gives you a bunch of toggles, I leave mine in the main top drop down. One of which is a flashlight toggle. So you dont even need an app with this, plus lets you toggle about 30-40 other things

F-Droid, OsmAnd, K9-Mail, Xabber (5, Informative)

F-Droid is without competition: The only app store for open source software.
OsmAnd is a navigation and mapping app which works with free offline maps based on OpenStreetMap.
K9-Mail is an email app with IMAP-push support: get a notification as soon as mail arrives on your server.
Xabber is a multi-protocol chat client.

All of these apps are free (as in beer and in speech). None of these apps require the Google apps on your Android phone.

Mighty Text (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47791915)

Mighty Text. Let's you receive and send SMS messages via your computer.

I'm not sure this approach is valid (5, Insightful)

93 Escort Wagon (326346) | about 3 months ago | (#47791929)

You may be asking the wrong question, at least if you see your phone as a tool. If the apps you've got are doing the job you want them to do, who cares if they're apps you picked up two or three years ago?

It might be better to think on what it is you would like to be able to do using your phone but can't currently accomplish with the apps you've got on hand. If nothing that comes to mind, then there's no problem to solve and no questions to be answered - you're good to go.

You've said absolutely nothing specific regarding what it is you want to do on your phone. There are literally millions of apps in the iOS and Google app stores - if you want meaningful responses, shouldn't you qualify your question a bit first? Are you trying to manage your diabetes? Do you only want to buy local, in-season fruit? Are you using your phone to manage illicit drug transactions? Looking for a wife? Learning to repair cars? Managing your Pokemon collection? What??

Re:I'm not sure this approach is valid (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47792075)

Quote:

Looking for a wife? Learning to repair cars?

After my phone finds me a wife and my phone repairs my cars for me, I'd like it to brush my teeth and accurately provide whether forecasts and lottery number forecasts.

I have now qualified the question with the specific data that you have requested. We look forward to your informative answers.
Thanks in advance.

Re:I'm not sure this approach is valid (1)

93 Escort Wagon (326346) | about 3 months ago | (#47792347)

While I make no guarantees, a wife-finding app might also address one of the other issues you've listed [youtube.com] .

Slashdot front page app (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47791953)

I'd like to know the best Slashdot app.

Re:Slashdot front page app (1)

SternisheFan (2529412) | about 3 months ago | (#47793005)

I'd like to know the best Slashdot app.

Most apps have a web browser based alternative. Use a browser in 'desktop' mode, (and with no beta).

My Favs: (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47791959)

Wifi Analyser : by kevin Yuan : graph the signal strength and channel of all wifi in range, awesome for troubleshooting wifi issues
Ping & DNS : by Ulf Dittmer : Troubleshoot all kinds of network issues, does much more than just Ping & DNS
AutoSync Free : turn sync off automatically when not on wifi.... save mega cash.
Recforge II : record audio.
RTA Analyser : What is that noise and how loud is it?
Spectralview Analyser : How often does that noise repeat?
SMS Backup & Restore : actually more useful for recording transcripts of textmessage conversations

Not applicable to every tech:
Massive Dev Chart : Look up developing formulas for almost any combination of film, developer, and temperature.
Dell Tech Tool : avoid having to call the idiots in India. only useful if you're working on a dell warranty call.

FB (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47791969)

or whatever twats today use.

Russia and the Ukraine killing each other, how is this a bad thing?

Ask slashdot to make a random list (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47791979)

What app should I use? What book should I read? What programming language should I learn? This type of question results in a random list, but does it tell anyone anything useful?

One gem of a notes app (2)

gwstuff (2067112) | about 3 months ago | (#47792067)

I've been using this note taking app [handwritingapp.com] on my iPhone since 2009. It's just like having a little pad in your pocket that you can scribble into. I use it more than any other app.

I have a Windows Phone (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47792097)

There aren't many, every app is the best app!

you should have known this would provoke a lot of (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 3 months ago | (#47792099)

..to try and be clever by posting something without actually posting anything useful. I however, do not count myself as one of those lazy tool heads as I am going to recommend an app that is sure to change the internet and also the lives of everyone who uses it and also those who do not use it.

Pinterest

Listmania begins (0)

Scout - Great if you have to travel on business. Buttons for nearest coffee, food, gas, etc. Automatically saves recently view places. Downloadable maps for areas with no cell phone coverage.
Fake GPS - Move the icon to where on a google(?) map you want apps reading the GPS to think you are. Various other features.
MyPhoneExplorer - Comes with client (phone) and server (desktop) sides. Great for fixing those little quirks in your contacts, and backing everything up.
Avast mobile security - Because something is better than nothing.
TripIt - www.tripit.com front-end.
Accuweather - Better user interface than weather channel.
Free42 - HP-42s reverse Polish notation calculator. Download the skin that makes it look just like the real thing. Desktop versions available.
Physics toolbox light meter.
Sound Meter - calibrated for various phones.
Firefox & Adobe Reader - There, I said it.

Re:Listmania begins (1)

taxman_10m (41083) | about 3 months ago | (#47792509)

What's the appeal of Firefox mobile over Chrome? On the desktop I use Firefox because it has a real adblocker, but on Firefox mobile it doesn't appear I can add to the filterlist from my phone which makes the adblock plus mostly worthless.

www.yoimlive.com (0)

www.yoimlive.com - lets you go live anytime you want on your cellphone and stream it to the internet

Xposed installer (2)

stoploss (2842505) | about 3 months ago | (#47792263)

Probably the most useful app I have installed is the Xposed installer.

This is Slashdot, so it's okay to be meta, right? Heh.

Android SMS app (1)

Tumbleweed (3706) | about 3 months ago | (#47792285)

I really like Hello SMS. It's a very simple interface. It's light on features, but has what most people probably really need, and some neat UI tricks I've not seen elsewhere.

ownCloud or BitTorrent Sync (2)

corychristison (951993) | about 3 months ago | (#47792305)

ownCloud or BitTorrent Sync.

I have found both of them to be incredibly useful. Especially since I have a hard time accessing my mobile files via USB since upgrading to an Android 4.x phone.

The two essential apps (5, Funny)

RDW (41497) | about 3 months ago | (#47792315)

There are, of course, hundreds of thousands of apps you might consider installing, but I think most people will agree that only two are absolutely essential for everyone:

Hypnotic Spiral: https://play.google.com/store/... [google.com]

(sample review: GREAT APP ESPECIALLY IF YOUR STONED OR DRUNK OR ANYTHING ELSE,TRIPS U OUT,I USE IT WHEN I'M ON ANOTHER LEVEL,WHEN I'M ON THE MOON STONED *****)

this will allow you to make anyone else do your bidding, making a large majority of other apps completely redundant.

I Ching - Divine Your Future: https://play.google.com/store/... [google.com]

(sample review: 'Excellent! The only I ching app that uses sticks and not coins. Much more reliable. The editable entries are also a bonus. Great work, thanks!' )

This will help you make all the major decisions in your life, including what apps to install. It is also useful for understanding the plot of The Man in the High Castle. I meditated on your situation, and using the yarrow stalk method received the wisdom of Hexagram XLII ('The second SIX, divided, shows parties adding to the stores of its subject ten pairs of tortoise shells whose oracles cannot be opposed. Let him persevere in being firm and correct, and there will be good fortune.'). I hope this is helpful.

Best App? (1)

mauriceh (3721) | about 3 months ago | (#47792341)

Google?

The OFF Button (0)

Best app, there you go.

Medical ID for sure! (1)

Laurent Pellegrino (3805941) | about 3 months ago | (#47792395)

An interesting Android app is Medical ID. It could save your life in case of emergency: https://play.google.com/store/... [google.com] You can test it for free since it is available as a freemium app.

Medical ID (1)

Laurent Pellegrino (3805941) | about 3 months ago | (#47792421)

Screw it, (1)

Chysn (898420) | about 3 months ago | (#47792469)

just get Angry Birds.

Dumb question (1)

bazmail (764941) | about 3 months ago | (#47792529)

What are your requirements and budget? Asking what is the best app is like asking what is the best OS or the best programming language.
Asking that on slashdot is asking for trouble.

Best data mining app (0)

The winner for best data mining app is: [drum roll] .... pretty much any app. That is, if you're looking to have your contacts, GPS track, and other private data uploaded and analyzed, almost any app will do. Neat huh?

A few FOSS, security, usability apps for Android (5, Informative)

RanceJustice (2028040) | about 3 months ago | (#47792627)

I tend to gravitate towards FOSS when possible to be used on a rooted, custom Android ROM. Here are a few useful ones I've found...

Note: Most of the following can be found on GooglePlay, in addition to other locations. They may also be on other app marketplaces, but these are those I've confirmed. Sometimes, there is a difference in version number or whatnot between F-Droid, GooglePlay, and an .apk downloaded from a homepage, so be aware.

F-Droid (www.f-droid.org) - a FOSS app marketplace. Not the only place to find FOSS apps, but a great option for any interested uses.

RomToolbox Pro (Google Play) - If you like to tweak, mess around with rooting and custom ROMs, RomToolbox has a great selection of utilities. Not entirely
FOSS, but it is basically a wrapper for a ton of utilities, some of which have source available. The Pro version opens a few new features and supports the platform; generally worthwhile!

Firefox for Android (Google Play) - Mozilla's privacy focused, FOSS browser. Has many of the same great features (add-ons etc..) as on desktop.

GuardianProject apps (www.guardianproject.info) - Lots of great utilities here, including Orbot (TOR for Android) and Orweb (TOR browser bundle for Android so to speak, based on Orbot and Firefox Mobile), ChatSecure (OTR-enabled XMPP client), and more. They also support Ostel.co, a SIP provider with privacy in mind.

Antox (www.tox.im) - Android version of the FOSS "Skype alternative, but secure" TOX project

OpenWhisperSystems apps (www.whispersystems.org) - TextSecure and RedPhone are FOSS, encrypted SMS (and other text messaging) and mobile dialing apps respectively. If talking to a fellow user of the program, it automatically negotiates a secure connection, yet they still both work to send common texts and calls. Using them as your main apps still have some benefits (ie such as TextSecure taking both text and pictures you receive and storing them in an encrypted form on arrival). Note - TextSecure is new and up to par, RedPhone is a bit sparse and is being completely redone. They also offer Flock (very newly developed), a CardDAV/CalDAV FOSS app that allows you to sync contacts, calendars and more. Pay a couple a bucks and user their servers, or host your own.

FreeOTP (Google Play) - With Google Authenticator no longer FOSS, this is your new best friend in Android 2-factor Authentication. You can generate and pair lots of different codes; if I remember correctly a RedHat dev wrote/maintains it. Works with all major 2FA standards and has lots of options!

CSipSimple (https://code.google.com/p/csipsimple/) - A ZRTP/OTR supporting SIP client for Android. LinPhone (found on F-Droid) is a good alternative as well.

K9 Mail (F-Droid) - This is a great, full featured Android mail client, that just happens to be FOSS. Plugin system too.

MediaCrush (https://mediacru.sh) - Not really an app per se, but one of my favorite image/media hosting sites around. Works with just about every media format, has an API, clients, and plug-ins for various browsers and platforms. FOSS, if you want to host your own MediaCrush site. Privacy focused too.

KeePass2Android (https://keepass2android.codeplex.com/ and GooglePlay) - A FOSS, full-featured, modern form of the KeePass database software for Android. Works with the newest KeePass 2.x database (.kdbx) styles. There's even an offline-only version if you prefer! Note, this is different from "KeePassDroid", which has less features and limited compatibility with the 2.x database format.

Plumble (F-Droid) - A quality Android client for connecting to Mumble servers (Mumble being the gaming-focused, FOSS VOIP system)

OwnCloud (www.owncloud.org, GooglePlay ) - One of the best FOSS cloud storage options, OwnCloud has an official client for Android. You can compile it yourself, but the pre-compiled version on GooglePlay is $0.99. You will need an OwnCloud server to connect to somewhere, of course. Consider this an alternative to something like Dropbox, Box.net and the like.

OsmAnd (F-Droid) - Maps and navigation using the OpenStreetMap data, for times when you don't want to use Google Maps!

Clover, RedReader (F-Droid) - Ever browse 4chan or other image boards, or read Reddit? Clover (4chan style imageboards) and RedReader (Reddit) are comprehensive FOSS clients for these sites that have extensive features and mobile formatting.

These are just a few general-use, FOSS/privacy focused alternative applications that some may find interesting. Don't be afraid to browse around F-Droid's repository, go to www.prism-break.org, or check around for other applications that could serve you well. If you have a specific interest, you'll likely find an app that relates to it, but especially in these days its important to ensure that the latest shiny doesn't require giving up one's personal information or privacy. At least, it is an important consideration in my eyes.

Guitar tuner (2)

CaptainDork (3678879) | about 3 months ago | (#47792759)

If you don't have a guitar tuner app, then how in Sam Hill are you going to tune your guitar when you are at Open Mic at Logon Cafe and you forgot your dedicated tuner?

If you don't play the guitar, then get the piano tuner and stuff. OK, maybe you don't play the piano. Me neither.

If you have no need to tune any instrument at all, ever, then just forget it.

Get a good word search program.

If you don't have a word search app, then how in Sam Hill are you going to spend your time when you are at Open Mic at Logon Cafe and I don't go on for another hour?

Umano is a great phone app for commuters (1)

Umano is a great app--reads news and blog posts to you from tons of great sources. It is excellent if you're a commuter...a great answer to NPR and talk radio.

some i use (0)

google play:
RPN Calc
MX player
ESfile explorer
Foxit pdf
Samsung mobile print (and scanner) if you have wifi samsung printer.
Icecast player (still needs work)
plumble
Samsung universal remote (if you have IR hardware)
utorrent
SuperSU
Uninstall
Barcode scanner ZXing team ...
now obviously l3tters will get involved ... we cannot share any imformation anymore without it being used agaimst us

What a bunch of morons comment here... (-1)

Are you all that fucking stupid?
Best app for:
Panoramic photography
RDP
VNC
eBook reading
Comic book reading
Identifying music
Managing lists.. On and on we can go

Jesus fucking Christ use your imagination and stop wasting everybody's time with your whining.